Liftgates have quickly become a driver for efficiency for fleets both big and small. Routine inspections and maintenance on these areas of your fleet are essential to improving your bottom line. So, how can you keep this essential component of your fleet safely operating?
There are a number of ways to maximize the reliability and life of your liftgates:
- Adopt the liftgate OEM’s guidelines and recommendations that detail the required inspection and maintenance & frequency of each.
- Know the weight of your freight and liftgate capacity. NEVER OVERLOAD.
- Properly train all of your liftgate operators. Your liftgate operators should be tasked with daily visual and operational inspection of the liftgate, this way when small issues arise, they can be taken care of quickly and cost efficiently.
- Create a maintenance checklist specifically for your liftgates, based on OEM guidelines. Make sure there is a consistent recording method allowing your fleet to detect the trends of specific liftgate brands, operators, or heavy loading cycles which may result in additional maintenance. Seeing reoccurring issues with a particular liftgate brand will assist in your purchasing decisions in the future.
Consider this simple checklist to start...
- Inspect liftgate structure as a whole for loose or missing bolts, roll pins, screws, or any other noticeable damage.
- Make sure the liftgate batteries are always fully charged before a job.
- Make sure the liftgate cable plug and socket connections and chains are free & clean from corrosion.
- Make sure the liftgate cylinders, hoses, and fittings are checked for leaks.
We are no stranger to liftgate installation & service…we even specialize in welding modification & fabrication. Call us today to learn more about our repair services – or visit one of our state-of-the-art repair centers for an estimate.